Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Gray Skies

Today's card was inspired by two separate challenges. First was Addicted to CAS with the code word Rain and second was the Simon Says Stamp Flickr Challenge with ink blending. I decided to create an ombre gray sky with ink blending and some heat embossed rain. It turned out more beautifully than I had originally thought it would!


I started my card base by inking up the Falling Rain background stamp with Versamark ink and heat embossing it in clear on gray cardstock. I used an ink blending tool along with Black Soot and Hickory Smoke distress inks to blend dark ink down from the top of the card and gradually lightening as it got closer to the bottom. It created this fantastic effect where the raindrops look lighter at the top and darker at the bottom as well. That's the type of effect that I just couldn't predict happening. It's absolutely gorgeous when it catches the light!

On to the rest of the card... I cut a wonky stitched square out of black cardstock and heat embossed my sentiment in white. (I actually cut the stamp because I just wanted the last part of the sentiment. Don't worry, it doesn't hurt the stamp!) I adhered the black piece to a jumbo fishtail banner cut from vellum and then adhered the whole piece to the card base. I thought it looked a little bland, so I cut and colored an umbrella from Abby's Spring Showers to brighten it up a little. I ended up really liking that pop of yellow! I added a few drops of glossy accents to the umbrella to mimic the rain in the background. I just love how this whole piece turned out!




7 comments:

  1. LOVE that sentiment! Such a very sweet card Rachel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is one awesome card! LOVE that background you created!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is all kinds of fabulous! I love the grays and that awesome pop of yellow -so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing~I love the pop of yellow against the gray raindrops~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully done Rachel and I'm loving the grey background as it's so effective for the theme and the pop off yellow umbrella is perfect! Thanks fit playing at ATCAS. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that background stamp and the fact that you used grey in the background. Fabulous take on the challenge. So glad you joined us at Addicted to CAS this week
    jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute card, thanks for playing in my challenge at ATCAS!

    ReplyDelete