Tuesday, May 8, 2018

CASology: Marine

Hello and welcome back! I know you're probably sick of it by now, but I have another underwater card for you today. With the new cue from CASology, I just couldn't resist!


See? How could I possibly resist making another ocean themed card with a cue like that? It's just begging to be colored!


I switched it up a little this time and made my little mermaid sit on the sea floor. I started my card by cutting a panel with a stitched rectangle die and then used my MISTI to stamp both my image and my sentiment in Memento Tuxedo Black.

I used my copics to color in my mermaid. This time, I wanted to show a little love to my dark-skinned sisters and made her more Latin inspired. I used brown to color her hair and then thought it was a little too light, so I added some warm gray over the top to tone it down and it created this gorgeous color that I just adore!

When my mermaid was colored, I added in the sea floor beneath her by coloring in the basic shape with a light brown and then going over the top of it with little dots of darker browns. I focused the darker browns where her shadow would fall and then gradually decreased the darkness as her shadow would fade.

I used stripes of blue, blue green, and blue violet to create my ocean water. When I was satisfied with how the color looked, I went back in with my colorless blender, BG11, B93, and a white gel pen to add dots of bubbles surrounding my mermaid. (If you'd like a tutorial for the water portion, I made one in an earlier post. Just click here.)

I added my finished panel to my card base using my tape runner and I was finished!

Thanks for stopping by today and don't forget to link up your creations on the CASology post!


6 comments:

  1. My goodness, Rachel...you are such a talent, especially with your Copic markers! Such a darling mermaid and I love how you created the water and ocean floor...WOW!
    I'm still practicing your water technique...maybe I'll have something to show for it soon :) Thanks so much for inspiring me to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card! That ocean background is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Rachel!! Such mermazing coloring with the copic markers. Love the ocean bed and the water effect. The card looks absolutely stunning! The mermaid looks so pretty, especially her hair looks amazing. The white highlights and the bubbles add more interest to your card. I really wish i could color like you. Hugs - Bharati

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything about this card! :-) Great job with the water, sand, and the tan-skinned mermaid! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, wow, wow! Just stunning! Such beautiful coloring! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous, this technique is just fantastic, so have to try it with a mermaid or two. Thank you so much for sharing how you did this technique.

    ReplyDelete