Sunday, October 4, 2015

Bushel and a Peck

I needed to make a birthday card for my grandmother who's turning 80. I looked through my stash and there just wasn't anything that stood out to me as something I'd want to send to her. Luckily, I had just happened to catch the Harvest Mouse set at Simon Says Stamp when it was briefly back in stock. It has the perfect sentiment!



I know it's not a traditional birthday card, but my family always said this to each other when I was a kid. In fact, we used the whole line "I love you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck." I don't know why we started saying it, but we always said it. When I first saw this set, I knew I had to have it. The images are darling and this one sentiment is something I know I'll use again and again.

On to the card... I used my favorite pigment inks from Mama Elephant to sponge an ombre sky using Orangeade and Buttercup. The inks blend so smoothly and look beautiful! When I die cut the pieces for the grassy scene, I sponged on some Mojito ink to white card stock. I definitely need some more Mama Elephant inks! (Just don't tell my husband!) After assembling the scene, I die cut the mouse and other pieces and then stamped on the die cuts. I find I get a better image this way since the dies are solid instead of see through. I used my copics to color the images and then arranged them in a way that looked pleasing to me. I heat embossed the sentiment on some Early Espresso cardstock and then used a die from Paper Smooches to add the stitched detailing to the edges. I love their dots and dashes set, it makes it so easy to add a detailed edge to something you don't have a die cut for! I added a few marigold Pretty Pink Posh sequins to the card and I was done!


Since this card is for my grandma, I decided to dress up the inside a little, too. I simply stamped another mouse and colored her in with copics and then stamped my sentiment in Early Espresso Ink. (Sentiment is from Wishing You by WPlus9.)

Supplies:
Stamps: Harvest Mouse (MFT Stamps), Wishing You (WPlus9)
Dies: Stitched Rectangles (Simon Says Stamp), Grassy Fields (MFT Stamps), Rolling Hills (MFT Stamps), Harvest Mouse (MFT Stamps), Dots & Dashes (Paper Smooches)
Paper: Neenah Solar White, Early Espresso, Kraft
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Versamark, Early Espresso, Assorted Copics, Mama Elephant Pigment inks in Orangeade, Buttercup, and Mojito
Other: White embossing powder, white gel pen, Marigold sequins (Pretty Pink Posh)

I'm also going to enter this card into two different challenges. The Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge (Ombre) and Wednesday Challenge (Anything Goes).

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card Rachel :-) the images and sentiment are fabulous and I love how you decorated the inside too, very cute :-)

    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday and Wednesday Challenges
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling sentiment, and such a cute card! Thanks for joining us for the ombre challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable card...inside and out! Such sweet images!!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete