Wednesday, February 17, 2016

City Sunrise

Today's post is a card that actually took a while to come together. I was trying for another concept entirely, but flowers just aren't my thing and I couldn't make it work, so I took the colors and made it into something that works for me. A sunrise. New beginnings. Feels right to me. (This card was meant for something else entirely and if you saw my post when it actually went live at 5am - long story short, I didn't want to delete the post, but needed to change it into something else.)


When I finally stopped trying to force things and really looked at the colors I saw a sunrise. It's the way the sky looks here in Arizona when the sun starts to peek over the mountains. I'm fortunate that I live where I do (and unfortunate in other ways) because we have completely clear skies about 95% of the time. It makes for some spectacular sunrises and sunsets! I inked up the New York skyline stamp I had from Altenew in StazOn ink and I put my meager watercoloring skills to work with the water and sky. When it was all dry, I added the sentiment from the same set in gold heat embossing. I didn't use anything fancy for this card, just simple washes and a little bit of shadow on the buildings by going in with more color after the first wash had dried. It looks a lot more difficult than it really is. Believe me, if I can do it, you can, too!



4 comments:

  1. SO pretty!! Love the colors of your sunrise background! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing sunrise, just looks so realistic, great to have you as our GD at The Caed Concept x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card, Rachel! So glad you could join us over at The Card Concept this month!
    Take Care!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete