Sunday, August 24, 2014

Sponged Night Sky

I watched the fabulous Jennifer McGuire's amazing tutorial and wanted to try this technique for myself. She made an absolutely beautiful card and it was really very simple.
 
 
She used embossing paste for her stars, but I don't have any in my collection and it's not in the budget to buy any new supplies right now, so I made due with what I have.
 
For my first attempt, I tried using a stencil like she did, but I used Versamark ink and then heat embossed my images. I'm just not in love with this one. It didn't quite work the way I wanted it to.
 
 
 
My stars got a little fuzzy, which is kind of cool, but not what I was looking for. Still, I really like the finished project, a cute Christmas card!
 
Stamps: Bright & Beautiful
Ink: Night of Navy, Pacific Point, Blackberry Bliss, Versamark
Paper: Vellum, Whisper White, Silver Metallic
Punches: Stars (Martha Stewart)
Other: Snow Embossing Powder (Recollections), Micro Pearl Powder (Pearl Ex), Star Stencil
 
Next, I decided to do my sponging before I did any stars. I ended up liking this card a whole lot more than the first.
 
 
I sponged the background and then stamped my stars with white pigment ink (it helps me see what I'm doing). Then I heat embossed them with white powder. I would have then added the sprinkles of Pearl Ex powder mixed with water, but I forgot! (I very carefully covered my sentiment and did that step last. That's why the sprinkles look a little funny!) I then heat embossed my sentiment on vellum and added my punched stars. I hid my dimensionals behind the accents and stuck it on my panel.
 
Stamps: Fabulous Four, Festival of Trees (star), Banner Blast (star), Random Hampton Art set (moon & stars)
Ink: Night of Navy, Blackberry Bliss, Pacific Point, Versamark, White Craft
Paper: Vellum, Whisper White, Silver Metallic
Punches: Stars (Martha Stewart)
Other: Snow Embossing Powder, Micro Pearl Powder (Pearl Ex)
 
I took a few days off to try to pack a few items for our impending move and do some cleaning. Looks like our move is on a hold for a little bit though. I have maybe a month until we're actually ready to head out, but that could change. I feel like I have a little breathing room though, so that's nice. I look forward to having a little more time in my crafting room until things get hectic again! See ya soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment